The Exciting Life of the Evil Vegan

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I'm Back! Yay!

First off I want to apologize for my lack of updates. I had started this blog with hopes of updating at least once a week if not more. Shortly after my last update I had to start preparing for my radiation which meant I had to stop taking my thyroid hormone. For those of you who don't know, the thyroid controls almost everything that goes on in your body. “The thyroid produces hormones that influence every organ, tissue and cell in the body. The hormones also control heart rate, body weight, body temperature, energy level, muscle strength and menstrual regularity.” I had to stop, cold turkey, my thyroid hormones. For over 2 months I did not have a metabolism and all I wanted to do was curl up and cry every day. All I did was sleep. I gained lots of weight even though I barely ate. It was awful. I was depressed for a while, and after work each day just wanted to cuddle with my amazing Chris. I am now back on my thyroid hormones but was recently diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia as well as TMJ. Trigeminal neuralgia is an inflammation of the trigeminal nerve. It's been described as the worst pain known to man. I have atypical bilateral trigeminal neuralgia. That means that as opposed to normal TN which causes random attacks of sharp shooting pain, my pain is constant. I always feel like I am being beaten with a shovel, and then I will occasionally get an attack of sharp shooting pain on top of that. Add to it the TMJ, which can cause the muscles of my jaw to contract and swell up and prevent me from opening my mouth.... I've had a really insane past few months, and I am hoping that I can keep up with this journal from now on.

I've got quite a few recipes I'd like to pass on, The Worlds Best Split Pea Soup, Amazing Cheezy Mac 'n Tomato Bake, the BEST Carrot Cake Cupcakes you will EVER eat... but for now, I am going to veganize my mothers favorite recipe. Hungarian Apple Tart Pies. It's something that was passed down to her from her father, my grandfather. He was at one point, a head chef at the Copa in NYC waaaay back in the day (1950's-60's) and I have fond memories of his food. In my mothers version, she uses premade pie crusts. I will be doing the same, only for convenience and because she has already purchased them. I'm going to get to work- the results and recipe will be posted soon!
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment